Wednesday 1 May 2013

Hello, World!

I know - it's not like me to be so quiet!  But this year so far has been a series of one thing after another, some not-so-good, some very good indeed, and all needing attention.  I won't dwell on the not-so-good - I still have sadness to deal with, but that will eventually turn into memories, the pain will ease (a little), and life goes on.

So, to the pretty-darn-good category, which mostly revolves around our house renovations.  We spent so many years renting and are so VERY glad to be out of that rut now.  It means so much to a shell-lover like me to be able to turn a house into a real home.  Not just wallpaper and paint, either, but jobs involving sledgehammers and industrial-strength drills, bags of plaster and filler, and lots and lots of labouring.  No matter how much I clean, the second I put the cloth away, another fine layer of dust settles on every surface.  The carpet is, I swear, half an inch deeper, and my vacuum cleaner thinks I'm having a laugh.  I'm not bothered, though - I can live with the extra dust in the knowledge that the carpet is the next thing to go, and we'll have our longed-for wooden floors very soon.

After a series of power cuts in the freezing cold depths of last winter, our new wood-burning stove is going to wonderful in the next one.  It's sitting in our (rebuilt) fireplace right now, waiting to be installed.  It's going to be wonderful!  Note to self, must buy toasting fork.

Much of my computer time - which is scarce enough these days! - has been spent sourcing materials.  I've found some beautiful reclaimed tiles for the hearth.  When I have them in my clammy little paws, I'll post a photograph.

It's all fun!  And of course, the best bits are the evenings over a glass of wine, when hubbie and I review what we've achieved so far, and talk about what we have ahead.  We can picture it all done and complete, right down to the wallpaper and paint I mentioned earlier.  I can see the glowing flame in the fireplace, the candles on the new mantlepiece.  It's going to be worth every minute, every penny, and every strained muscle.  Bring it on!

Of course, the writing is on a hiatus for now.  But don't worry - I'll be back soon.  Now, where's that paintbrush.....?









No comments:

Post a Comment