Friday 15 June 2012

The One-Link Lowdown on...Viviane Brentanos!


My guest today, Viviane Brentanos, was born in Reading, Berkshire, but now lives on the beautiful Ionian island of Corfu.  She’ll never forget the day she made the decision to stay – ‘I still remember to this day, sitting in a café-bar, overlooking the crystal clear azure sea and saying to my friend. "I never want to leave here.” Her latest novel, a romantic suspense called Past Undone is released today by Muse It Up Publishing.

Viv describes her writing as ‘romance with a quirky, humorous Brit twist and I am always striving to make my characters real, characters we can all relate to’ – I for one definitely relate.  You’re very welcome to my blog – here we go!

What’s the naughtiest thing you've ever done? 
The naughtiest thing I have ever done or the ‘naughtiest’ thing?  Okay, let’s forget the second. I am presuming this is a family blog so let’s keep it clean. So – my naughtiest thing is, in fact, a series of naughty events. It involved knocking a policeman’s hat off and I enjoyed every minute of it. Let me take you back to 197blah blah blah. It was the year of the Osmonds, their first visit to the UK and I was desperate to see them. Unfortunately, my parents refused to let me go to London and camp outside the Rainbow theatre and queue for tickets. You guessed it. When I eventually got there in the morning.... no tickets. Hell hath no fury like a teenage girl thwarted in her attempt to see her one true love. I was not alone. Thousands of us protested, screaming for them to give us tickets [even though the management had none}. A riot followed, involving a lot of police shoving and ankle kicking. I think this is when a certain Bobby lost his hat. I do hope he ain’t reading this.

I love it!  I do remember the whole Osmond-mania thing very well.  Now, I think I can guess a little of your next answer, so tell me - what’s the best job you've ever had?
The best job? Not sure it was the best in terms of great money but it certainly was a cushy number. I was employed as a doctor’s receptionist in the small Corfiot village of Benitses. Here is a rundown on a typical working day.
Husband drops me off at surgery. I open up, change into my bikini and head down to beach for an hour’s swim. Come back to office, shower, put the coffee on, nip down to local newsagents, borrow all the days’ newspapers, take them back to surgery. Pour coffee, bite into chocky croissant and then read newspapers. Once I have copied out Sudoku puzzles, return newspapers, and back to surgery for morning round of phone calls to friends. Time for lunch. Nip next door for a tasty pita. More coffee and then pull out writing pad and continue writing my next best seller. Oh did I mention my boss supplied the paper? Occasionally, someone would call or come in and request an appointment with the doctor but God help them if they interrupted my creative flow.

Tell us three surprising things about yourself, one of which is a fib - and we'll try to guess the fib!   

1} I have a phobia about driving. I will never learn to drive.

2} I am an avid reader of romance. It is my favourite genre.

3} I once received a phone call from Darren Hayes at 5am, all the way from L.A


Hmm…think, think, think!  While I’m thinking, tell me about your favourite piece of music.
Oh this is tough. I adore music of any genre but, mostly I am into rock and heavy metal. Different songs move me at different times and for different reasons. I suppose if I have to pick one, it is the closing song from the movie Gladiator. It kills me every time. It is such a heart wrencher. Oh but if we are talking heart wrenchers then I must post a list:
Sara – Fleetwood Mac
Run – Snow Patrol
Mine – Savage garden
The Idol – Wasp
I can’t go on. The tears, the tears.....

Who would you invite to your ultimate fantasy dinner party? 

Oh come on. This is easy. Enrique Iglesias, Rafa Nadal, Darren Hayes, Russell Crowe, Sheldon Cooper and Tyrion Lannester. What fun it would be. Now who would I spend the night with? Well, I love them all; a beautiful, talented bunch but.....it’s got to be Enrique. The man is simply perfection.

Well, if you’re happy to keep Enrique to yourself for the evening, may I ask you to budge along the table so I can squeeze in beside Rafa? ; -)  What a great party!  Viv - what talent or skill would you love to have that you don’t have now?
Oh this is another easy one. I wish with all my heart I could play lead guitar and play it to Angus Young/Jimmy Page/Van Halen/Slash level. I would sell my soul to appear on stage with Angus.

What's your guilty pleasure?
I am only allowed one? Shame on you, Jane, for spoiling my fun. Okay, it has to be Darren Hayes. While he is not as gut-achingly gorgeous as my Enrique, I adore this singer-song writer with a passion. I have three times flown across Europe to see him perform. He is the inspiration behind my novel, Cold, Cold Heart, his songs have kept me company through many a long, lonely night of writing. He is simply – well – simply Darren.

Viv, your life in Corfu and your writing career that’s going from strength to strength, it sounds to me like you must be so very happy with your lot!  I’m almost loathe to ask – if you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
My obsession with unobtainable men, {see answers to most of the questions. You get the picture}

I get it!  What single invention would change your life for the better?
I would love a writing machine that was wirelessly in tune with my imagination. You know the feeling. You are walking along the street while a perfect scene runs through your head. You can’t wait to get home and put it down on paper/pc but, as much as you try, as good as you can get it, it never quite matches that zone you were lost in.

You are so not alone with that wish!  Aside from writing achievements, family, etc - what are you most proud of?
Showing my Afghan hounds in the eighties. I loved it. I was good at it and they gave me immense pleasure. I wish I had time to do it again. Who knows? 
Who knows, indeed?  Viv, it’s been great talking to you today.  I wonder who has guessed your fib correctly?  It’s No. 2 – as you say, ‘I hardly ever read romance.  I love thrillers, murders.’  Last but not least, I hope our readers will follow your One-Link today over to your Muse It Up Publishers page for Past Undone, where they can read a fabulous excerpt and  treat themselves to a copy.  Thanks for being my guest, Viv- good luck in all that you do.

4 comments:

  1. Yer--you read romance novels like eating popcorn. Yeah---sure.

    Great fun ladies. Much success with Past Undone. It is a wonderful read!

    Best,
    Christine London

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun unlifting interview, So entertaining ladies. Thank you!
    Viv, Since I don't drive, it's possible you don't either.
    About question 3. I believe in 'If wishing could make it true...' I figured you wished pretty hard so that one must be true.
    That leaves: you aren't an avid reader of romance. hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I like the popcorn comment!

    Wendy, great process of elimination!

    Thanks for coming over to see Viv. :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely interview Viv, and how lovely you made your dream come true and live on Corfu. I wish you every success with your new release.

    ReplyDelete